The Alf Museum is offering a new program for educators of students in grades 2 to 4 - the Classroom Science Connections Loan Kit! The Loan Kit program provides teachers with everything they need to bring paleontology to the classroom and to teach major scientific concepts using fossils. For a fee of $25, teachers can keep the kit for two weeks for use in the classroom. Contact the museum to make a reservation, then come to the museum and check out the kit like a book from a library (see contact info below). The CSC Loan Kit program gives teachers greater flexibility in how and when they teach paleontology in the classroom; study can range from one day to several days and can lead to extended exploration of the science of fossils and ancient life.
The “Dynamic Dinos” Loan Kits are available during the upcoming school year (beginning September 2011). Major concepts covered in the “Dynamic Dinos” program include:
- What fossils are (and aren’t)
- What dinosaurs are (and aren’t)
- How dinosaurs are classified (saurischians and ornithischians)
- The Mesozoic world and what else inhabited it
The “Dynamic Dinos” Loan Kit includes:
- a CD with a PowerPoint viewer presentation on the subject of fossils and dinosaurs
- 12 fossil replicas, including dinosaur teeth, claws, footprint and dinosaur egg
- 3 age-appropriate books from the museum library
- Hands-on activity worksheets and materials with instructions provided in the Educator Guide notebook.
Watch for updates as we work to expand this program to include topics like “Fascinating Fossils” and “Dino Fun”!